Personal information – privacy notice
Your trust is important to us and we are committed to safeguarding your personal data. Pointalls Allotments Limited is a ‘data controller’.
This privacy notice lets you know what happens to any personal data you give to us or we may collect from you.
In accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which was incorporated into UK law on 25th May 2018 we are providing you with clarity on what data we have; how we use it; why we need it and who has access to it.
We are providing this Privacy Notice because:
- you are an existing member of Pointalls Allotments Limited and we are required to inform you of your rights relating to the personal information we hold
- or you are making an application for an allotment and if successful will become a member of Pointalls Allotments Limited
Pointalls Allotments Limited is categorised as a non-profit organisation and as we process only information relevant to managing the allotment site there is no requirement for us to register with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The legal ground under the GDPR we rely on to process your personal data is known as ‘legitimate interests’.
As an allotment organisation the lawful basis, ‘legitimate interests’, applies as we process personal data in order to manage our site and tenancies. This is information that our organisation requires in order to undertake our role and meet the requirements of our lease with the London Borough of Barnet.
We do not collect special category or sensitive data as specified by the GDPR. Therefore we are not obliged to seek consent to hold data from our members or applicants for allotment plots at Pointalls Allotments Limited.
Data protection principles
We comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way
- collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes
- relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes
- accurate and kept up to date
- kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about
- kept securely
The information we hold about you
In connection with your membership of Pointalls Allotments Limited we collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- your title and full name
- your postal address
- your email address
- your home and/or mobile telephone numbers
- date of joining Pointalls Allotments Limited
- if claiming seniors discount your date of birth
- your rental and associated charges for your plot
How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- from your application form when applying for an allotment plot
- when formally applying for membership of Pointalls Allotments Limited
- from completed and signed tenancy agreements
How we will use personal information
We collect information in order to manage our site and tenancies. We only use your personal information for the operation of your membership and this enables us to:
- send annual invoices for rental and other related charges
- communicate with you by email and post
- keeping in touch through regular newsletters which may include site news, important notifications, communications about our new products and special offers, annual general meetings and other meetings, workshops, competitions and site activities
Keeping your personal information up to date
If any of your personal information should change, such as your contact details or address you should inform us as soon as possible so that we can keep our records up to date.
How we use special category or sensitive data as specified by the GDPR
We do not request or hold data or information within this category.
We do not share our database.
Data is only accessible to those who need to use it to undertake our organisations activities.
We have in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
Members’ information is held securely in an electronic database. Appropriate tools such as firewalls are in place and antivirus software is kept up to date.
Where we use third parties, including marketing automation platforms, for bulk email or postal communications we ensure that such suppliers are, as appropriate, fully certified and compliant with applicable privacy shield frameworks.
Information held on paper (hard copies) is kept safely and to a minimum with access limited to those who need to use it.
We have in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and the Information Commissioner’s Office of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
We only hold data as long as we reasonably need it. We will retain your personal information for as long as you are a member and tenant of Pointalls Allotments Limited and then for a short retention period.
For applicants who withdraw from our waiting list your information will be deleted immediately from our records.
Historical records and other non essential and time expired information will be routinely deleted and destroyed.
Rights of access, correction, erasure and restriction
The GDPR specifies your rights in connection with personal information. Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is all of this necessary?
Pointalls Allotments Limited is legally obliged to comply with current data protection obligations both in relation to the GDPR and the terms of the company’s lease from the London Borough of Barnet. We are required to provide you with details on the kind of information that we may be holding about you and how it is processed.
Data protection issues
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact The Company Secretary, Pointalls Allotments Limited, 215A Squires Lane, London N3 2QS. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.